Friday, February 7, 2020

Your Guide to Epic Buddy Reads (A Blog Collab with Kate Willis)


So, my friend Kate and I like buddy reading. We just finished reading our fifth book together and we thought it would be fun to do a blog post on buddy reads! We're sharing ten tips, so Kate has tips 1-5 over on her blog, and here I have 6-10, so make sure to check out her post!


6. Take notes if needed. (You don’t want to forget important details) 
I am the queen of forgetting details, so I always keep a running note on my phone of things I want to discuss with my buddy. Normal notebooks work great too! (Or you might be one of those epic people like Kate who doesn't need notes. In which case, I applaud you.)

7. Make a shelf on Goodreads.  (It’s really fun to look back over what you’ve read together.)
A Goodreads shelf lets you look back over what you've read with your buddies, and see what you've already done together. (Just for reference, here is mine, and Kate's)


8. Libraries are your friend! (Sometimes we don’t both own a book so we often pick them up from the library.)
Going out on a limb to buy a book your not sure about is not always fun, so picking it up from the library can be a great alternative! Some even let you barrow things online, which will allow you to put it on an e-reader.

9. Make sure each buddy knows they can DNF the book whenever. (We’ve never had to do this before, but it is good to talk about)
It's important to decide ahead of time that if either one of you gets uncomfortable with the book that you can stop. You don't want to make your buddy feel guilty if they feel like they can't finish it! I would recommend having a plan in place in case this happens, like having a backup book!

10. Eat cheesecake at the end. (We’ve done this over Skype.) 
This is one of the most important parts. It was originally Kate's idea and I wholeheartedly endorse it. Eating cheesecake is a great way to celebrate finishing a book, and the nice thing is, you don't even have to be in the same place to do it!

Don't forget to go check out Kate's post here!


8 comments:

  1. Great tips!!! Buddy-Reading is soooo much fun XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! Your tips and Kate's are awesome.

    I've recently been doing buddy rereads with Katja @oldfashionedbooklove, and we're really enjoying it! She sent me here.:) I actually haven't done an official buddy read before now, though I've been on one end or the other of a one-sided "live chat," as an old reader watches a new reader read a book .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!

      Aww, I love buddy reading! A couple of the books Kate and I read were ones we had both read before. =) I hope you have an awesome time reading!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh now I want to buddy read a book with someone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came over from Kate's blog and enjoyed your half of the post. :) I agree with your thoughts on the DNF topic. Even if it's simply a matter of just not enjoying it and having a hard time getting through the book, it's a good thing to think about in advance.

    Victoria @ www.thefearlesstype.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it always good to know you can stop. No need to read a boring book if you don't have to. ;D
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!