Friday, December 18, 2020

5 Ways to Give to Your Local Food Pantry


I know everyone is trying to grab your attention this time of year and get you to give their cause, but I wanted to share some ways you could help your local food pantry. Here we go!


1. Give time. 

Your time is one of the most valuable things you can give. Seriously, almost all food pantries need volunteers. That will look different at each one, but they need you. At my food pantry, they desperately need people to come and simply put an assortment of food in bags to give out easily. I normally only help out for an hour a week, so it's not like it's a huge commitment, but it's great to work there. 


2. Give (Good) food. 

My family was unemployed for two years. We depended on food pantry food to eat for a lot of weeks. I distinctly remember one week getting very excited because we had gotten a box of food which meant finally some variety in our contact diet of mac and cheese. I cannot express my disappointment when inside the box was limp cabbage and cans of stuff I don't think anyone actually eats if they aren't desperate. We ate it, and my mom used it as a lesson on how we should be grateful for everything God provides and I still appreciate that lesson. But I can't help but hope that a lot of kids won't have to learn that way and that they'll be excited to get bags because they have good food in them. Most food pantrys depend on donations, and so what you give is very important. Out of date, super weird, or half-used food items are not a good way to go when donating, but what you give may mean the world to someone. I remember getting chips one month and it was the biggest treat we had had in a long time.


3. Give money. 

Food pantries often have a lot of monetary needs. Most of the time they buy food to supplement donations, have to pay utility bills and have to buy equipment to keep operating. Giving money is a great way to help them stay afloat. 


4. Give prayers. 

Handing out food is not a photo-op event, it's pretty rough a lot of times. So pray for your local food pantry and the people who come through. 


5. Give cards. 

Most food pantries will accept cards to give out to the clients. You can write encouraging notes to make people smile. Or simply write your local food pantry and tell them you appreciate them. 


So there you have it, five ways you can help out at your local food pantry. I hope you will at least look up the food pantries in your area and check them out. They can be so awesome! 

Merry Christmas y'all!! I may not post next week since it's Christmas. =) 


6 comments:

  1. I love this, Mikayla! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great ideas! I am glad that you are able to still help at your local food pantry every week. Your family's commitment is a testimony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me to, I really love working there! =D Aww, thank you. We just love working there.

      Delete
  3. I love this. <3 The store where I work closing for the winter (mid/late-December thru March) and so we took all the food that would be going out of date to the local food pantry. I wasn't donating the food personally, but we all donated time to get it all separated, boxed up, and delivered. It was nice. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aww, that is such a cool idea! I love that y'all do that. <3 Hey, that's still a lot of time and effort. Thank you so much for doing that!

      Delete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!