Friday, October 11, 2019

Sometimes Good Stories Scare You


I don't typically talk about my story ideas before I write them. I don't know why it just makes writing lose a little bit of its sparkle if I tell about it before I get it on the page. But with NaNo coming up, I've been trying my hand at basic outlining.

I was sitting at McDonald's while my mom working online, and I had an outlining workbook laid out in front of me. I didn't really know what I wanted to write about. I normally literally go into my writing with a vague idea of a character, maybe a mental image or two and go from there. I sat down and tried to convey the mental image in my head onto the paper.

After two hours of writing, I felt shaken. I had just put on paper the extremely basic outline of a book that scares me. Not like a ghost story or anything. It's about a topic very near and dear to my heart and is probably a little too autobiographical to make a good story. I got home and sat for a while, praying, really wondering if I actually had to write a story that made me mentally quake. The answer: Yes. Sometimes good stories scare you. I think they were meant to, to remind me that writing isn't just about what makes me happy, it's about what God wants to do through me.

I don't know how well this story will turn out, but I am excited and nervous to dive in. Last night I made a Pinterest board for it, so if you want to hop on there and see what I've got so far, go ahead.


Have you ever written a story that scares you? How'd it turn out? 

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE that Pinterest board!!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brave sister! I've written several stories that have scared me. I've even written some times and been even more scared to share them with people because they might not understand. <3 I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is maybe what we, as writers, are supposed to do. Take what is closest to our heart and share it with the world through creative writing. And maybe that is sharing something that is painfully true, but a truth that only you can share because it comes from your own personal experience.

    I often find myself wanting to share a message in my fiction that is most dear to my heart. That is a message of hope in the darkness, hope in suffering, hope even in the midst of great pain or death. For the believer there is always hope!

    Don't be afraid to write the message that God has burdened on your heart to share!

    Blessings in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES. <3 The stories that scare us are the best stories.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!