Friday, July 26, 2019

Retrospect



I wrote this poem a while back and it's something that is very dear to me. A testimony to God's goodness. It was too special to share for a while, but I thought now was a good time.

Retrospect 
I’m looking at the beginning 
From the end 
My heart seems to skip a beat 
At all the things that have changed 
At sixteen I was trusting 
Happy and peppy 
I was self-confident 
Then it all fell apart 
And I did too 
At sixteen and seventeen 
I was broken 
Heartsick and undone 
I felt inside out and useless 
I drew closer to God  
In a way I never had before 
I clung to Him 
And I grew up
I lost part of myself 
And I gained a lot of hurt 
And a lot of wisdom 
At eighteen the hurt eased 
Into a background ache
There, but not constant 
I worked on recovering 
And moving on 
And coming to terms 
Of living differently 
At nineteen 
Everything changed again 
And healing beyond hope
Came to rest on me 
And now I’ve got to learn 
How to live with a full heart 
One that is so different 
Then when I started this journey 
Everything is different 
And as much as this changing hurt 
I wouldn’t change it 
God gave me this cross to bear 
And He choose to take it away 
My cup overflows 
As I look in retrospect 
And see how much He taught me 
How much He loves me 
And how He held me 

7 comments:

  1. Very nice Mikayla. Hope you are staying cool. Hot here in New York.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Trying my best, but it's pretty hot here, so not really. ;D

      Delete
  2. Thank You Mikayla for this beautiful post. God Bless.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this.
    ~Katja L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much! What a beautiful testimony of your growth!

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!