Saturday, September 19, 2020

How to Level up Your Babysitting Skills


I've been a babysitter for five years now, with over ten different places I have worked, and every time I walk into a new job I feel completely unprepared. Each set of kids are different which makes each job unpredictable. But I have picked up some tips along the way, so here they are:

1. Pray a lot. 
I try to use my drive to work to pray. I am not a naturally patient person, so I usually pray for a lot of patience, that I would be a good influence on the kids, and that they would react well to my authority. It's hard for a lot of kids to have someone different come in and be in charge, so I pray extra for them, knowing it's not going to be easy for them. 

2. Cultivate genuine love for the kids. 
I have walked into jobs before where there are 10 kids I'm helping watch and I don't like any of them, but choosing to love them despite not liking them makes a world of difference. You can't change how the kids act necessarily, but you can change how you react to it. Choosing to like them to doesn't hurt either. ;)

3. Get down on the floor. 
Kids like to be played with. I personally love sitting on the couch and watching kids play, but they do well with adult interaction. Sit down, play with the toys, let them knock down block towers you build. It's really fun, trust me. 

4. Focus. 
Don't let your focus get off the kids for to long. Phones, books, movies, they're all fun, but even if it's a pretty casual babysitting job, it's a good idea to just leave your phone in your purse (With the ringer on so parents can contact you) and focus on the kids. 

5. Don't take it personally. 
My mom told me this and it has been the number one biggest help in my babysitting career. If you work enough babysitting jobs, you'll hear a lot of stuff (i.e. I hate you, you're mean, go away) none of it fun to hear, but you don't need to take it personally. More often then not, kids are just upset that they're parents are gone, and are taking it out on you. Choosing each time a kid acts out to not take it personally but it just deal with the issue helps way more than getting flustered.

6. Be willing to work (and play) hard. 
When I go into a job, I try to let the kids have as much fun as possible. I'm here for only a short part of their day, and I want them to look forward to coming back. Parents may not always have the energy to play tag with their kids after a long day of work, so I try to do it. I don't always feel like showing kids how I can do a cartwheel (Which is still lopsided, but I guess that's beside the point), but I never regret it when I see how happy they are. So go the extra mile, read a book when your voice is tired, iron 20 pearler beads and get burns, play hide and seek for an hour. You'll enjoy the memories. 

Bonus tip: Keep track of funny things kids say. I have started doing this recently and it is the best! 

I may not be a world-class babysitter, but I do love working with kids and I hope these tips help. 

What's your favorite thing a kid has said to you? Comment below and I'll tell you my favorite kid quote from this week.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! As a big sis in a family of eleven, I'll definitely be putting these tips to use. ;)
    One of my favorite kid quotes came about from a hilarious experience. My family had just sat down in one of the front rows at church before the service. The pastor stepped out and made his way toward the pulpit, and my little sister exclaimed, "Look! It's God!" Uh, no, sweetie. Just the preacher. LOL
    Hope this made you smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I'm the youngest of seven so I didn't get the chance to hang out with younger kids much until I was older.
      Wow, that's great. XD
      One of my favroite kid quotes was I when I was watching this little boy who I'll call "John" simply because he's someone elses kid. He had just been dropped off in nursury, and was really upset so he was sobbing "Mama" over and over agian. Finally he yelled "Mama, Mama John" I was laughing so hard. It really sounded like he had forgotten who he was crying for and mistakenly said his own name. XD

      Delete
  2. Love it! I was a babysitter for a few weeks and it was definitely a challenge at times, but overall we had fun with lots of activities and crafts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be pretty hard! The pro's defintly outweigh the cons for me. =) One of the kids quotes I just love from this month was I was just sitting in the livingroom when one of the little girls comes running through carrying pretend pliers yelling in a pretend frantic voice "Pliers out of contol!!" I have no idea what was going on, but it was fantastic. XD

      Delete
  3. Great tips! This week I was hanging out with my mom and the almost-three-year-old she nannies. She asked him, “are you going to be a big brother?” (His mom is expecting) He said “no, I’m going to be a garbage man!” 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is fantastic. XD It's hard to make little kids understand they're getting new siblings, but their reactions are great. XD
      My favorite kid quote this week (It takes the cake for the month I think) was I was sitting at the table with my little four year old friend. She was eating a peach, I was eating a samwhich. All the sudden she just tilted her head, looked at me and said "Wouldn't it be great if you could have a giant cheeze-it as a boat." It was so out of the blue I didn't know what to say for a moment, but then I was like "Yeah, that'd be cool," then she was like, "I guess you couldn't eat it though, cause then you'd sink." I don't know where she get's this stuff but it's fantastic. XD

      Delete
  4. This is a great post, Mikayla! All these things are so helpful and true :)
    I like to write down what my siblings say too. Here’s a recent fav... my sister B. was asking our littlest brother (4) to shut our bedroom door, which he’d left open. He wouldn’t comply so she finally did it herself. Later on he went out and then came back and asked for her to open the door.
    “Why should I open the door for you if you wouldn’t close it for me?” she asked him.
    Without missing a beat, he called back, “Because you’re my hero!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is so sweet!!
      A fun one from last week: my little four year old friend was playing and she was like "Pretend the food was so good that I blew up."
      I blinked a bit, then she proceeded to pretend to blow up, then she jumped up and down all excited and went "That was AMAZING!" XD

      Delete
  5. Love this post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      A couple of weeks ago I was watching a little girl and she was playing with a flashlight. She acendentally flashed it in my eyes, so I just told her she needed to be careful, that it could hurt. She imediatly looked down at the flashlight, frowned and said "Bad flashlight. TIME OUT!!" and stuck it in a corner. XD

      Delete
  6. Reading all the awesome kid quotes was so fun! xD Thanks for doing this, Mikayla. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a lot of fun putting them all in here. =D My pleasure! =D

      Delete
  7. Love this Mikayla!!! And these are all the reasons I love having you babysit my kids. You’re more than just a babysitter! You love on them and they feel it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much. <3 I love babysitting your kids. They are some of the best, funnest bunch I've ever had the privlage to work with. <3

      Delete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!