Saturday, September 12, 2020

Shouldn't You Love Today?


Just some thoughts on the pressure to join different movements, and days to talk about certain issues. Typically I try to keep my poetry happier, but this is just what I've been feeling lately and I wanted to share. 

Shouldn't you love today?
Shouldn't you love this movement? 
They do a lot of good
They change the world
Shouldn't you love that? 
Shouldn't you speak up? 
Shouldn't you take a stand? 
They need a reminder 
They need a voice 

But I can't
I'm trembling on the inside
Every time this day comes
I feel like I should speak 
But I'm not like you 
Your pain caused you to be bold 
Your hurt turned into helping 
Mine left a bruise 
And made me shelter it 
Talking about it doesn't help 
And speaking out isn't just painful 
It's debilitating 
And I'm not ready for that  

Please don't tell me my silence is weak 
Please don't tell me I'm hurting people 
Please don't say you're saving a life
And I'm just watching them die 
'cause you don't know me
I've got my own pain 
And you've got yours 
I want to love today 
But I can't 
I'm not ready for it
So please don't ask me to 
I'll tell you when I can

Go change the world 
I'll join you when I'm ready

4 comments:

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!