Friday, February 5, 2021

January Highlights

It snowed in Texas. 'nuff said. 


I started back at my jobs this month after Christmas break. I have had a bit of trouble adjusting to going back to work, but I have loved getting to hang with the kids. Two of them told me I was their best friend, which melted my heart, even though I know kids change their opinions quick. <3 

I had an unexpected day off work, so my sister and I had a movie party with pizza for no other reason than I was off. If you have hung out at my house, you'd see that we take pretty much every opportunity to have family parties. =) 

We. had. Snow. Four inches in Texas. If you know central Texas you'll know that that's pretty much unheard of. It was SO much fun to have snowball fights, build a snowman, have snow ice cream, and just watch it from the warm fire inside. My family had to stay home from church (We have literally no way of handling snow on our roads, also I was not about to drive on icy country roads), so we watched it online, and then read a book together. Most of the book takes place during a blizzard, so we joked that this was our own little blizzard. It was just an epic day, and the snow lasted for three days in little patches, which was pretty fun! 

One of the family's that my sister and I babysit for are moving, so we spent a good bit of our free days over there. Don't let the word get out, but I really love helping people move. The cleaning, packing, and feeling of getting a fresh start without having to go through the stress makes me so happy. Also, my sister and I got to hang out a lot with some of our favorite kids, and do work together, which was awesome. 



I re-organized my desk. I didn't intend to do this, but one day I started to move one thing around and before I knew it I had everything off my massive desk and rearranged the whole thing. It feels very nice now, and I'm glad I did it. 

I had a morning at home alone, so I put on Frozen and made bath bombs. I had an immense amount of fun with this, though I reaffirmed my belief that Tangled is way cooler than Frozen. 

A dear friend of our family gave us Zoo passes, and we finally got to go near the end of January. Thankfully it was a pretty warm day, so we had a picnic and then walked around for about two hours. We also did a lot of book shopping, it was fantastic. 

My sister and I watched Pride and Prejudice the 1995 version, which is honestly the best ever. We colored in a P&P coloring book, and I did some embroidery, which felt very Jane Austin appropriate. 

January was fantastic for me. Way better than I expected. I did have a fair amount of work-anxiety. I let a lot of things overwhelm me that I shouldn't have, and I overcommitted a bit. But God really came through for me and gave me a lot of peace. I decided to take my commute each day to listen to Bible. This way I'm filling my mind with truth and encouragement for two hours a day. So yeah, I still had a bit of a breakdown when I went to the library and discovered they had changed their hours and I had to wait an hour for them to open, but I can tell God is working on me and teaching me to hold to Him. 





I ended up watching about 12 movies this month, though some of those were series, so they were a bit longer. (I also watched Pride and Prejudice and Frozen and forgot till now)

The only ones of these which are not re-watches are Blues Clues and You (Cute), Green Gable Fables (1 season was great, but I had one reservation about season 2), and Batman Begins (I hated it. Would not recommend at all.)
Would ya'll like me to start doing mini-reviews on the movies I watch? I always feel like doing this, but am not sure if anyone would enjoy it. =)




My favorite new read was The Archers Cup, and my favorite re-read was a toss-up between The Last Battle and Kiera. 


Before My Eyes Brin Lael 
Enough The Worthy Beloved
Hidden Treasures A Farm Girls Life
This or That Book Tag Hailey Hudson 
The Coral Island Old-Fashioned Book Love


How was your January? Do you like snow?


15 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! Sounds like you had a great month. =) We got snow here too and Mom made a batch of snow cream (using almond milk instead of dairy, so I could eat some). That was special. :D
    Ooh, yay! I'd love to see movie reviews!! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! Thanks! Ohh, fun!! I guess I'm weird, I just like snow ice cream with sugar and vanilla. I've never really liked adding milk. XD But I also am lactose intolerant, so I feel ya.
      Awesome! I will probably start those next month!

      Delete
  2. I don't always have time to come read your posts recapping your months, but I enjoy the ones I do read. :) You've gotten more snow than we have! *is slightly jealous* I LOVE snow, but we don't get much here anymore. It always seems to be north or south of us. And sometimes east and west. ;)
    My January was busy. It was good too, but it felt short unlike most January months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy them! Haha, this was the first time we have gotten snow in years. I'm sorry you don't get much snow though, that's sad! I would love a bit more snow. It's so much fun!
      I know the feeling! It seemed to fly by this year!

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about your family parties. Anything worth celebrating is worth celebrating with pizza. ;)

    I always love your highlights! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm glad. I enjoy having them. XD Someday you're going to have to join us.

      Thank you. <3 <3

      Delete
    2. I definitely need to do that <3

      Delete
  4. I'd love the mini-reviews! Sounds like January was lovely for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright! I will start in on them next month!
      It was. <3

      Delete
  5. Hi Mikayla;
    Nice post. You had 4 inches of snow. We had 16 to 18 inches of snow and more expected tomorrow.UGH! It is not fun shoveling and walking across streets where the snow is piled. The temperatures have been mild the last few days.
    There is always a time for pizza.
    Have a good Week-end.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yeah, I cannot imagine. I have always enjoyed living in the south and only getting snow once every few years. XD
      Indeed there is. ;)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I’m so glad you had a good month, and also jealous that you got snow! I can totally see what you mean about enjoying helping people move. And making bath bombs sounds so fun. Thanks for mentioning my post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could have shared it!!! <3 Haha, I'm glad! I really wanted bath bombs one day and didn't want to spend 5 dollors for them, so I looked up how to make them. It was surprisingly fun.
      My pleasure!

      Delete
  7. Hi Mikayla, Thank you for the January update. I enjoy reading your monthly updates. Wow! Texas receiving 4 inches of snow, that is unusual. It took us 2 and a half hours to shovel the snow from the sidewalk and stoop. Our back yard looks like a Winter Wonderland. Pizza is a good thing anytime and any where. Enjoy your movie and books.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much for reading them!!
      Wow, that is a pain. =P I would love to come see that much snow for a visit, but I am glad to live in the warm south. XD
      Thank you!

      Delete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!