Friday, September 27, 2019

Writing of Late


Hello everyone! I've been working a lot on my writing lately and was very excited to finish a novella this month. It's the fifth book in my "Ordinary Girl" series. I haven't mentioned this series in a while, mainly because it's been about three years since I finished book four.
This book meant a lot to me, so it was amazing to have it finished. This book is really a bridge in the series where my main character really starts to turn from a kid to an adult, and it is the first of the series to not include a case at the crime-fighting organization my characters work for. It's more laid back and I got to really focus on my characters, so it was a lot of fun to write.
I thought I'd share a little snapshot from the book, in one of my favorite scenes.


I could see David nodding in my peripheral vision as he stared out the window at the people passing by. I pulled a piece of my cinnamon roll-off, enjoying the feel of the soft bread between my fingers. I plopped it into my mouth, savoring the melting sweetness. 
“Are you okay, Mandy?” He asked, his voice gentle. 
I glanced over at him, my eyebrows arched.
“Well?” David prompted me to answer in a soft tone.
Something in me sank as I took in a deep breath, “I just don’t know anymore.” 
David took a long drink of his coffee, seeming to turn my words over in his head as he did, “That’s okay.” 
Surprised raised in me. That wasn’t the reaction I had expected. 
He looked over at me with a small smile, “It’s okay to not be okay.” 
“Thanks.” I didn’t know what else to say, but something inside seemed to ease.
“And I know we haven’t known each other very long,” He wrapped his hands around his mug “But I’ll be here until you are okay again.” 
He leaned towards me and in a stage whisper said; “I’ll even stick around afterward.” 
I chuckled, smiling at him as he leaned back into his chair.
“For the record,” I said, “That means a lot to me.” 

How are your projects going? 

6 comments:

  1. Aw, I like David already!! And this series sounds so good—I can’t wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! He's one of my favorite characters I've writen! =D

      Delete
  2. Continued success with your writing.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikayla, you have a natural talent for writing. Success in your writing endeavors.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!