Friday, November 29, 2019

What Thankfulness Looks Like Tonight


Tonight I'm sitting with an open book 
Waiting for me to write down 
All the things I'm thankful for 
I try to think of all the things 
From air, and water, and laughing 
To books, family, and friends
I try to list all the things God gave me 
But I would be lying if I didn't say
That what's filling my mind tonight 
Is what I haven't got 
The way I jump when my phone buzzes 
Hoping it's them calling me 
The way I look on my feed 
Wishing there was a post 
Saying where they've been 
I can't help but feeling the empty space
Like a hole in me today 
And it's hard to be grateful for holes 
But tonight that book's reminding me 
That God gave me everything for a reason 
And the hole is there to remind me 
Of the God who fixes all things 
And I know that He'll hold me until He does
Sometimes gratefulness doesn't look like beaming smiles 
Or long lists of things you love 
Sometimes it looks like tears 
Like three words written on a page 
God's got me

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Mikayla. This was gorgeous. I relate so much to this, and I can tell its just so heartfelt.
    Love this. <3<3
    http://accordingtoisabellakate.blogspot.com
    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are one of my favorite things ever! Just be clean and respectful and we'll get along great. Keep changing the world!